Dear patients and our community,
As you already know, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is very real and it is everyone’s responsibility to help keep our community safe from the rapid spread of Coronavirus. To help slow the spread of this virus, it is now more important than ever to take an abundance of caution to help protect you, your family, our community and our healthcare system.
Because there are many unknowns about Coronavirus and things can change rapidly, we believe using common sense is the best measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
We, at Acupuncture Plus Works, are OPEN and here to help support your immune system, psychological system, and take care of your other health needs. Taking care of current underlying health issues is probably more important than ever before. Our clinic is very clean, and we are practicing extra hygiene and cleaning, above and beyond our normal, which has always been good. We do require that you wear a mask when you come in. If you have been unable to procure one, we will provide you with one. We will ask you to alcohol your hands or wear gloves when you come in (we provide these) and then put on your mask.
Traditional Oriental Medicine is one of the best preventive medicine systems in the world. While we can make no guarantees, this will more than likely boost your immune system. In China, over 85% of the people being treated for COVID-19 are and have been getting treated with Chinese medicine, especially the herbal formulas. We TCM doctors are blessed to have very qualified and expert teachers and practitioners from China who are lecturing us and keeping us informed of current, salient formulas being used for prevention, treatment and recovery stage of this disease.
We can NOT help you if you already have been diagnosed with COVID-19. We do not have access to the medical equipment to do this. BUT, we can help you with your prevention efforts and help your mental and physical well-being.
If you feel you do not want to have an acupuncture treatment, we are willing to make you herbal formulas that you may come and pick up. You may pay via phone with credit card and EVEN if you don’t want to come in, we will then set your herbal formula for you outside of our door. WE ARE HERE TO HELP!
If you are feeling ill, or experiencing any of the following symptoms, please stay home and limit your exposure to other people in your community. By taking action, you will significantly delay the spread of COVID-19:
- Fever (oral temperature 100.4° or higher) or symptoms of fever (such as chills or body aches) within the past 24 hours. Please do not consider yourself fever-free until your temperature has been normal for at least 24 hours without the use of Tylenol (acetaminophen). The World Health Organization (WHO) currently recommends avoiding Advil (ibuprofen) and other NSAIDs for COVID-19 symptoms until more information is available.
- Shortness of breath and/or cough that is not known to be caused by another condition (for example allergies).
- Travel within the past 14 days to areas that have people known to be infected with COVID-19.
- Close contact with a person known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Healthcare workers who have been in contact with patients known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
Prevention is the best medicine. Here are some additional resources for our patients and community during this critical time.
What You Can Do To Take Care Of Yourself
The most important things you can do to support your immune system are really basic:
- Don’t panic. Stress is bad for your immune system. It’s normal to have worried thoughts. Just don’t entertain them for too long. Make some time to do something enjoyable each day and connect with loved ones.
- Wash your hands frequently and don’t touch your face unless you just washed your hands.
- Get enough sleep. Turn off the screens and start winding down a little earlier.
- Drink lots of water to support healthy mucous membranes as a first line of defense. Hot water and tea have been shown to inhibit viruses in our throat.
- Eat more nutrient dense whole foods, soups, lots of vegetables and whole grains and bone broth. Miso soup, only alive miso, not the instant. ( Be careful of the quality of miso you get.) Acupuncture Plus Works has alive, made in USA, true probiotic miso.
- Eat less inflammatory foods: sugar, industrial seed oils, processed foods, alcohol, and foods you are sensitive to . Now is the time to enjoy cooking fresh, whole foods at home! We have plenty of fresh produce available here in California!
- Support lung health by doing some even breathing, preferably outdoors in fresh air, to move circulation and clear out toxins. Breath in through your nose for a count of 5, hold for 1 count, then out through your mouth for a count of 10, hold for 1 count. Repeat. Make the counts even and not too long that you struggle.
What You Can Do To Help Boost Your Immune System
- Traditional Chinese Medicine immune boosting and antiviral herbs! Herbs boost and support your immune system. Let us know you are interested in herbs and we’ll figure out the best way they can help you.
- Probiotic foods are an important part of your immune system. They are available in fermented foods such as natto, raw sauerkraut, specifically labeled pickles, miso ,nama shoyu, homemade fermented vegetables. Consider supplementing with a concentrated pill or powder. Acupuncture Plus has a hand-made, alive, and never refrigerated miso available at the clinic.
- Elderberry syrup is a go to recommendation for antiviral support that you can order online or get at Whole Foods.
- Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc are also good supplements to boost your immune system.
Up-to-date COVID-19 Data from the World Health Organization
For the current number of cases worldwide, the World Health Organization maintains a COVID-19 Situation Report worldwide. Click here.
As acupuncturists and practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine, we are committed to the health and safety of our community. With your help and support, we can all take part in mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
While these times may feel unusually challenging, please know we will continue to monitor the current situation and evaluate additional measures to help support our patients, employees and community.
Thank you and stay safe.